Location: Remote, anywhere in Canada
Duration: 8 weeks, Summer contract
Hours: Full time 4-day work week, paid for a full 5-day work week
Salary: $20.00 to $25.00 per hour, commensurate with experience
Steamlabs is a Canadian non-profit organization dedicated to fostering innovation in science and technology education while emphasizing collaboration, support, and inclusivity. Our mission is to promote understanding, critical thinking, and equitable access to science and technology for individuals from diverse backgrounds. We specialize in developing web based AI-driven tools and learning experiences for STEM educators, revolutionizing the educational landscape and empowering both educators and students in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics.
As a member of the Steamlabs team, you will enjoy a fully remote work environment, a 4-day work week with full 5-day pay, access to professional coaching, and a wealth of professional development opportunities. We are committed to supporting your career growth and personal development, ensuring you have the resources and mentorship needed to thrive in your role and beyond.
Since we are relying on the Canada Summer Jobs grant to fund part of the salary, let us know if you have the following eligibility:
- Between 15 and 30 years of age at the start of the employment; and,
- A Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person to whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act for the duration of the employment
Steamlabs is seeking a creative and collaborative Web Designer to join our diverse and supportive team. In this role, you will create visually appealing, user-friendly, and responsive websites and web applications for our AI-driven STEM education initiatives. Collaborating with the Design Lead, development team, and other stakeholders, you will develop and implement designs in line with project requirements and contribute to the storytelling aspects of our projects. Join us to showcase your design talents, make a meaningful impact in STEM education, and enjoy a nurturing work environment that values collaboration and personal growth.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Collaborate with the Design Lead and team to establish a consistent look for web applications and platforms
- Design and create responsive web layouts, user interfaces, and visual elements
- Transform wireframes and mock-ups into functional, visually appealing websites and web applications
- Optimize web designs for usability, accessibility, and responsiveness
- Work with the development team to implement designs, ensuring compatibility across devices and browsers
- Contribute to the storytelling aspects of the projects
- Complete other operational tasks related to your role (e.g., project organization and researching new information)
Qualifications and Skills
At Steamlabs, we appreciate Web Designers who are creative, energetic, and dedicated to fostering genuine collaboration with their team members. Ideal candidates thrive in dynamic situations, prioritize continuous reflection and process improvement, and are eager to grow their learning and design practice. We seek individuals who value a positive work environment, emphasizing support and encouragement among team members while nurturing a culture of growth and development.
Required qualifications and skills:
- Web Design diploma, current enrollment in year 2+ of a Web Design-related diploma or degree program, or 1+ years of work experience in Web Design
- Experience with WordPress (required) and Elementor or Divi page builder (bonus)
- Experience with responsive design and web accessibility standards
- Strong understanding of design principles, typography, and color theory
- Familiarity with design tools such as Adobe Creative Suite, Sketch, or Figma
- Proven teamwork and collaboration skills
Bonus skills and experience:
- Experience with front-end frameworks like React or back-end technologies like Node.js
- Familiarity with AWS stack and related services
- Skills from the list for a different job, such as 3D design, coding, or Artificial Intelligence
- Experience teaching and/or developing educational programs and activities
- Experience with other science, technology, making, or artistic skills
- Fluent French speaker
- Familiarity with scrum project management
- Passion for making a positive impact – tell us how you’ve made the world a better place in small ways or large!
Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion at Steamlabs:
At Steamlabs, we believe that our strength lies in the diverse talents and perspectives of our team members. We are dedicated to fostering an inclusive, respectful, and equitable work environment where everyone feels welcomed and valued.
Our commitment to Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion (EDI) is more than just words; we actively seek team members from a wide range of backgrounds, including:
- Persons with disabilities
- Newcomers to Canada (including refugees)
- Indigenous peoples
- Members of visible minorities
- People of colour
- Members of the LGBTQ2+ community
We strive to provide equal opportunities for growth and advancement, ensuring all team members have access to the resources and support needed to succeed. Special consideration is given to applicants from underrepresented communities or those with experience working with diverse populations.
Join Steamlabs, where every voice matters, and help us shape a brighter, more inclusive future for all!
How to apply
Please send a resume, cover letter, and any relevant links via this form:
We will review all applications and reach out to candidates who meet our criteria for an initial interview. If you have any questions about the application process, feel free to contact our HR department at email@example.com
At Steamlabs, we are dedicated to harnessing the power of AI to revolutionize the way students and educators engage with STEM subjects. By joining our team, you will play an integral role in shaping the future of education and helping us achieve our mission to use AI to make learning more accessible, personalized, and effective for all. We look forward to receiving your application and discovering how your unique talents can contribute to our continued success.