Duration: Nov 30, 2022 – May 30, 2023 (6 months with potential to renew)
Hours: 8 hours per week, with potential for more
Salary: $17.00 to $22.00 per hour, commensurate with experience
Steamlabs is looking for an Office Assistant. You will be supporting the operations of an education non-profit developing Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning education programs for youth that will be delivered by our partners in schools, science centres, libraries, makerspaces and other settings.
Steamlabs is an education innovation non-profit established in 2010 to ensure people understand and think critically about science and technology, have equitable access to it, and can use it to solve their personal challenges, improve their communities and make the world a better place. Steamlabs mentors kids, teens, teachers and others at makerspaces across Toronto and around the world.
You will be responsible for ensuring our non-profit runs smoothly by supporting the team with such functions as basic bookkeeping tasks, managing payroll, and reviewing & maintaining budgets. There is an opportunity to expand your role with such activities as helping write grant applications and budget management.
You will work remotely from home. The specific day(s) and hours that you work are flexible to be negotiated.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Support hiring process
- Create and post job postings
- Employee onboarding and related documents
- Administer payroll system
- Perform basic bookkeeping tasks
- Prepare invoices and payables
- Process and verify receipts, expenditures, forms and other documents
- Coordinate with bookkeeper and accountant regarding payroll, wsib, invoicing and bank reconciliations
- Manage expense reports
- Grant administration
- Monitoring budgets
- Monitoring deliverables and metrics
- Researching new grant opportunities
- Other tasks as requested by the Executive Director regarding the operations of Steamlabs
Qualifications and Skills
You are a detail oriented person and are able to work independently. We expect your attention to process improvement and keeping us on budget to help us continue to serve our mandate. You’re organized, flexible, and interested in growing your own learning and skill sets.
The skills and experience we are looking for include:
- 1 to 3 years of experience and/or education in a relevant field
- Proven teamwork and collaboration skills
- Proficiency with basic accounting and office procedures
- Oral and written communication skills
- Organizational skills
- Proficiency with office software like Microsoft Office Suite
- Proficiency with bookkeeping or project management software such as Xero or Monday.com
Bonus Skills and Experience:
If you have any of these additional bonus skills, make sure to list them on your application:
- Interest in Social Impact Work
- Interest and/or involvement in education and tech.
Our participants include people with diverse backgrounds. Special consideration will be afforded to applicants from these communities, or with experience working with:
- Persons with disabilities
- Newcomers to Canada (including refugees)
- Indigenous peoples
- Members of a visible minority
- People of colour
- Members of the LGBTQ2 community
- Women and girls
Why work with us?
- We’re a small, agile team of friendly people with varied skills and experiences.
- There are plenty of opportunities to learn, grow and try new things.
- The Steamlabs staff and our partners are awesome, and a pleasure and privilege to work with.
How to apply:
Please send a resume, cover letter, and any relevant links via this form: