STEAMLabs is expanding the community animator program and recruiting for our Fall/Winter cohort to commit to a 6 month exchange (September 2018 to February 2019). Community animators are committed members of our community who contribute a few shifts per week providing tours, welcome desk reception, and supporting in other projects that enhance the community experience. In return, the STEAMLabs exchange includes a full membership to our makerspace and other related perks (details below). While the initial commitment is 6 months, those who are interested in renewing their commitment at the end of the exchange can be reconsidered for future cohorts and we welcome back community animators who have had a meaningful experience and contribution!
All community animators will be trained for on duty reception and tour shifts. The general expectation is to commit to about 6-9 hours of weekly shifts (expecting an average of roughly 24 hours per month, but prefer individuals who can commit to at least one regular weekly shift for ease of scheduling). There will always be another staff member (and sometimes more than one community animator) on duty to support you during your shift. Signing up for additional shifts and committee tasks above and beyond that are totally up to your interest and availability! We appreciate and value the commitments of our exchange members and we are looking for reliable individuals who are passionate about joining us to shape and sustain a diverse community of learners and makers, rather than just fulfilling a minimum number of hours a week in exchange for a free membership.
What you’ll be doing:
- On duty reception
- Support at the welcome desk; welcome newbies, members, parents and participants, sign people in, run transactions, and support with administrative tasks as needed
- Be a point of contact for members, help staff set up for classes or events, troubleshoot tools, and support staff where needed
- Lab maintenance
- Sweep, vacuum, ensure everything is tidied and cleaning stations are ready for member use
- Remove and / or recycle garbage and scrap material in the space and ensure members are equally contributing to the cleanliness and upkeep of the space
- Member tours and community animation
- Give scheduled and drop in tours to prospective members and onboard them into our community
- Follow up with attendees over email and track data on member tours and interactions in the space
- Animate our online slack community and member Wiki by contributing content, articles, events, and relevant links
Additional roles and tasks:
Depending on the interest and skills of each community animator, there are other ways to get involved in specific tasks and projects. Please specify in your application if you are interested in being considered to support in these roles. In some cases, these roles and tasks can be completed during your welcome desk on duty shift in between tours and member assistance.
- Event support
- Support youth program administration during PA days and kids camps (usually between 3:30-6:30pm on weekdays), and parties (usually weekends, various times); including checking out program participants signed into aftercare, directing parents and other guests around the space, supporting staff with operational tasks, etc.
- Plan, lead, or support member or community led events as approved and scheduled from time to time (including free member events, community nights, and showcase events as directed by the core staff)
- Promo team / social squad
- Source posts and relevant news articles for our social media and slack channels
- Live tweeting and storifying our events and programs in the space
- Capturing high quality photos and videos for social media posts and promotions that showcase our exciting day-to-day projects and space happenings
- Interviewing and profiling members of the space and drafting content including: think pieces and DIY tutorials for our online blog and digital publication
- Participate in external fairs, events and conferences where STEAMLabs has secured a booth
- Update exterior chalkboard and street signage for general lab and event promotions
- Tool training mentor
- Support teaching staff in our weekly tool trainings (3D printing, laser cutting, CNC router training) by helping set up for class, troubleshooting with participants in their learning and design, and helping to facilitate the certification tests as directed by our instructors
Note: We strive to maintain a diverse and inclusive workplace and community and encourage applications from all qualified candidates, including women, visible minorities, people in the LGBTQ2 community, aboriginal peoples, and disabled persons. You are welcome to self-identify in your application.
Deadline: Please submit your application using the form linked above by August 9th at 5pm Eastern Time. Successful candidates will be contacted by email to schedule a short in-person meet and greet interview.
In exchange for volunteering your time on shift at STEAMLabs…
You will receive:
- A full membership at STEAMLabs for the duration of your exchange commitment (this includes access to our space when we are open with unlimited arrivals and 2 hours of laser and CNC time per machine, per month)
- Behind the scenes experience in the operations of running a community makerspace and opportunities to work closely with our staff in shaping the community experience
- Ongoing support from our operational staff – you’ll be checking in frequently with our General Manager and Operations Coordinator as designated
- Our full suite of tool training (to be scheduled, preferably within the first two months of onboarding)
- 3D printer training (valued at $40)
- Laser training (valued at $75)
- CNC router training + certification (valued at $120)
- Woodshop safety training (currently free for members only)
Applicants who apply must be available to attend a training session prior to the start of the exchange program. In some circumstances, we may be able to schedule another training session, but preference is given to those who are able to make a training sessions during the last week of August – (time/date TBD based on selected applicant availability).